Q: How do I report a violation or complaint?

A: Call the Code Enforcement Division at 727.363.9211; or email your complaint to This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. .

Q: Do I have to leave my name?

A: No. We will accept anonymous complaints. If you leave your name and phone number, it becomes a part of the public record and is available to any citizen for review.

Q: What does it mean if I receive a notice of violation?

A: A complaint was received and/or an inspection revealed that there may be a violation. Usually, you will first be notified verbally or by use of a door-hanger request for compliance; otherwise a voluntary compliance letter will be mailed to your address of record. If there is no response, or corrective action is not completed as requested within a specified period of time, you may be notified of hearing before the city's Special Magistrate. If you need additional time to comply, please call the Code Enforcement Division. Our goal is to achieve compliance with the regulations; monetary fines are a last resort.

Q: What is a Notice of Hearing?

A: A Notice of Hearing is issued when you do not respond as requested or you have a repeat violation. The city's Special Magistrate will listen to your reply to the city's claim of a violation. A determination will then be made to grant additional time to comply or issue an order for monetary fines.

Q: What are some common types of violations?

A: In no particular order, the following violations are the most common:

  • Property and Yard Maintenance - Chipped or peeling paint, broken windows, high grass or weeds.
  • Vehicle Parking - Parking vehicles, boats and trailers on residential properties without proper license or registration or improper storage of RVs, boats and trailers in the front yard.
  • Signs - Most commercial signs are regulated as to size, type and location and must be permitted before installation. Yard signs must be located only on private property and are regulated as to size and number of signs.
  • Litter and Debris - In order to preserve a clean and neat appearance in the city, no accumulation of litter, debris, garbage, trash, discarded items of junk or other refuse of any nature is allowed.
  • Permits and Licenses - Building permits, sign installation permits and occupational licenses are generally required for any such activity within the city

Q: There are other properties with the same violations. Why are you picking on me?

A: Code Enforcement Inspections are done in response to a specified complaint or a routine neighborhood inspection. If you feel that we have missed a violation, please call or email This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. your complaint to the division.